Disclaimer

The content of this blog reflects my personal experiences and opinions during my veterinary school education. It does not reflect the experiences or opinions of my classmates, colleagues, or the UC Davis School of Veterinary medicine. If you wish to contact me via email: hamaleo11@gmail.com

Monday, February 28, 2011

What to do with my animal science degree?

"I am a Senior at UCD with a major in Animal Science & Management. I have been having trouble deciding what to do with my life after graduating since my GPA is less than 3.0 and I have little experience at veterinary hospital or animal clinic. I have finally decided to perhaps enroll in a Veterinary Technician program so that I can take the Veterinary Technician examination, but my major adviser and the pre-vet adviser did not know anything about it. I did some research on my own, but I am still very confused, and I am not quite sure who else can I ask about it.
I have found out that there are many colleges in California that offer accredited Veterinary Technician programs, but UC Davis is not one of them.
So I assume that the courses I took to fulfill my Animal Science & Management degree are not sufficient, and I am not able to take the exam until I complete the program?
Even though I will be studying Veterinary Technology, I still hope to go to a vet school afterwords. Is there anything else I should do besides gaining more experience with animal-related internships or jobs?"
 
Having trouble deciding what to do with your life after graduation is a very important question that I am sure a lot of people have (especially animal science and pre-veterinary majors).

I think the first question I would ask you is what ARE your goals? Do you want to go to veterinary school? Do you know where you want to see yourself in 10 years? I don't think you should let a GPA lower than 3.0 prevent you from pursuing veterinary school if that is your goal/dream/passion. I have friends that got in with GPA's lower than 3.0 and are doing well (although working hard) in vet school.

Second, I would like to address your question about pursuing a veterinary technician program. Why do you want to do this? I'm wondering what you think you will get out of attending a technician program on top of your animal science degree at UC Davis. You do not have to be a licensed veterinary technician to work at a veterinary clinic. I think the technician program would be great (although expensive/time consuming) when you could just get employed working and learning veterinary technician skills at a veterinary clinic. I would also recommend internships first or volunteering at an SPCA to gain veterinary clinic technician experience if you cannot find a job in a veterinary clinic, chances are there is something out there for you. Maybe even start by working the front desk and gradually work your way to helping with patients in the back. It's important to see how all aspects of a veterinary clinic run anyways. I'm guessing that after you graduate, you might want to begin earning money, but if you are set on the technician program, I know of a local one offered by consumes river community college. http://www.crc.losrios.edu/Areas_of_Study/Careers_and_Technology/Veterinary_Technology.htm
In order to get an RVT (registered veterinary technician) you have to attend an RVT school. UC Davis animal science courses are not sufficient for that program. Some of my classmates in veterinary school were RVT's, but most of us just worked in veterinary clinics with essentially the same responsibilities as an RVT. 
 
How to Become an RVT in California

Third, before you graduate, take the chance to get involved (or more involved) in the vet aides club which will help you get experience at the MERCER clinic or feral cat clinics, actual veterinary experience with animals. This club is really great and it's only available to you while you are at Davis. If you are considering veterinary school, most applicants have over 1,500 hours of VETERINARY related experience. They want to make sure you understand the profession and demands required of a veterinarian/veterinary school.

Fourth, look at prospective veterinary schools you would like to attend. See what they require of their applications (general to specifics) and find out what they want in applicants. It is also important to select a school that you want to go to. For example, do you want to stay in the US or are you willing to go out of the US to pursue veterinary school. Most veterinary schools have the same prerequisites, but some of them are different. 
 
Fifth, why not pursue a Master's or PhD program or gain experience working with animals in a laboratory setting? I would highly suggest researching your options with higher education as I know that veterinary school admissions committees hold higher education very high on their list when selecting new applicants. I'm not saying you shouldn't also get veterinary-related experience, that is also ESSENTIAL and VITAL should you choose to pursue veterinary school.
 
Also, consider other animal science related careers, one of my back up plans was to become an agriculture education (FFA) instructor. I've always been interested in educating, but there are additional jobs as well out there as well.  
 
I would highly recommend anyone in graduating in this economy start looking for jobs/careers early upon graduating. There is some intense competition out there for good jobs. Make sure you get the full experience from your education/university before graduating. Use their advising services, use their tutor centers, use their career centers, these are valuable resources right at your finger tips. School can be overwhelming (especially with science courses), but don't forget to get valuable hands-on experience that will be useful to your future. Apply for internships, make connections at job fairs, explore possible career/academic choices.  
Please let me know if you have any more questions: hamaleo11@gmail.com
 

No comments: