Disclaimer

The content of this blog reflects my personal experiences and opinions during my veterinary school education. It does not reflect the experiences or opinions of my classmates, colleagues, or the UC Davis School of Veterinary medicine. If you wish to contact me via email: hamaleo11@gmail.com

Saturday, November 13, 2010

My Experiences

There are millions of ways to get experience with animals, many of us have our own animals and they are what has inspired us to pursue a career in veterinary medicine. But to get into vet school, you have to show a substantial commitment to animals and animal health. If any of you are wondering what got me into vet school, here is what I believe got me here today:
My personal animal/veterinary experiences:
Volunteer: Folsom Feline Rescue
Worked for Equine Veterinarian (over summer)
Worked as specialty animal caretaker at Pet Smart
Worked a two small animal veterinary clinics as a tech.
Worked at over 8 horse boarding and training facilities
Volunteer with Saddle Pals (equine physical therapy for handicapped)
Volunteer at Mercer Clinic (veterinary care for the homeless)
Member of the Vet Aides Club at UC Davis
Internships at UC Davis Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital in Equine Medicine and Equine ICU
Worked on research in a lab at UC Davis (equine vaccine reaction research) got paid too!
Participated on the equestrian Team at Sierra College and UC Davis
Involved in 4H and FFA (horse project)
Volunteer at various spay and neuter clinics
Worked at the California State fair at the UC Davis livestock nursery and milking parlor

Other experiences:
Worked at a Take and Bake Pizza place (Mad City Pizza) when I was 15 years old
Worked a summer at Taco Bell (Express=no drive thru) age 16
Worked as a hostess at BJ's Restaurant age 18
Worked at a Florist (helped with arrangements and did deliveries) age16-17
Worked about a year and a half at Jamba Juice (loved this job) age 18-19
Worked as a General Chemistry/Animal Science Tutor at Sierra Community College Tutor Center age 19-20
Worked as a nature trail/natural history museum tour guide at Sierra Community College age 19-20
Quarter long Internship in a 7th/8th grade Science classroom in Woodland, CA
Worked as a peer adviser at UC Davis in the Dean's office of the college of agriculture and environmental sciences age 21-22

I think the main point is, vet school admission committees really want to make sure you can handle vet school. They want to see a substantial amount on your part of animal related activities that exceed the daily care of a family pet. They want you to be well rounded and be able to understand people and people's relationships with their animals. If you're looking to be a veterinarian because you don't like people, you are barking up the wrong tree. Every animal has a human counterpart and as a veterinarian you will be working with people on a daily basis.

I think my background in food service and public positions really helped me learn more about how to deal with difficult people. As a hostess at BJ's on a Friday night, I was swarmed with hungry people angry that their wait was going to be over an hour for a table. At Taco Bell, I had to deal with people ordering five grande meals 10 minutes before closing time. As a student peer adviser, I had to advise fellow students on how to most efficiently and productively finish their major at UC Davis so they could be on their way to their desired career path. In every job I have had, I have worked hard to do my best for the job and myself by learning more about interacting with people in our society.

I have worked hard to get into vet school, and find myself working even harder now (in vet school). For the first time in my life, I have no outside job that pays money. I've decided to let myself adjust to vet school and the rigors of studying. I have always had a job since I was 11 and started mucking stalls and exercising horses at horse ranches, I think it is time for me to take a little break and spend more time learning the material I will use for the rest of my life as a veterinarian.

~ I learned the value of hard work by working hard. ~  


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4 comments:

Rockjdog said...

It is a great idea to just go to school and stay away from working for now. I have had a few careers and my last career change was when I went into the IT field at age 38.
I had a job as the operations director for a restaurant chain.
I would work 12 hour days and then do school full time. I had to cram for every test and as a result I passed but learned nothing. On to the next exam, forgetting what I learned on the other exam and so on.
Some weeks by the time sunday arrived I had 10 hours sleep for that whole week.
It took me two years after school just to catch up and not feel tired.
I see you have had many jobs but do not give into the temptation to work and just do school.

Anonymous said...

How old were you when you started working animal related jobs?
Thx

Krissy Wood said...

I was 11 years old when I started cleaning stalls and doing work at horse barns. I made money and worked in exchange for my lessons/board for my horse.

Anonymous said...

How would you get a horse barn or alpaca farm to take you on as a volunteer?