Disclaimer

The content of this blog reflects my personal experiences and opinions during my veterinary school education. It does not reflect the experiences or opinions of my classmates, colleagues, or the UC Davis School of Veterinary medicine. If you wish to contact me via email: hamaleo11@gmail.com

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Game Plan: Survive the Next 3.5 years of Veterinay school


Despite not feeling like I did very well on my nutrition midterm this morning, I just realized that I am about half the way through my first year of Veterinary School and it feels great. It's really gone by so fast! I remember back in September, when school started, that I felt overwhelmed and didn't know what to expect from my eduction. At this point, I am much more comfortable with school and my life. I thought I would share a few tips to incoming veterinary students and maybe those upperclassmen who are still struggling to find sanity in vet school. 




Veterinary school is academically grueling, we have classes and labs that usually fill a day from 9am-5pm (like a full time job). But it doesn't end when you "clock out", you still have to study when you get home. Keep in mind, we rarely touch real animals during our first two years. We do have some courses that introduce us to the teaching hospital and how to handle animals safely. I think you get the most out of what you want to put in, for example if you want more hands-on experience, you have to volunteer on weekends and such. Participating in foal team, colic team, MERCER, spay/neuter clinics, etc. 

It definitely takes an adjustment period to get used to Vet school. My best advice is don't compare yourself to your peers, this is a common misconception for many entering veterinary students. You will meet many different types of people in vet school, all with unique personalities and ages. They might all seem very smart, maybe you might think they are even smarter than you, but let me tell you, you both got into the same veterinary school and just because someone gets better grades does not mean that they will be the better veterinarian. Your classmates should be your friends, you should learn how to study with them and cope together, you're all in for the long haul: becoming DVM's. It is likely that if you are struggling with something (like this morning's nutrition midterm) than others in your class feel the same way or they may be in denial.


Don't be afraid of getting involved in your school, community, or whatever, just get to know your study needs and work around it. You can actually have a life in veterinary school if you have good time management skills. You should make every effort to embrace your veterinary education instead of fearing it - time will fly if you chose to do so. 
The grass is greener on the other side :)

3 comments:

Jess said...

Right on, Krissy. :D

That exam was seriously horrible, but it's now finished, which is nice!

Tammy Olivas said...

As Long as you give it your best shot. That's all you can do! I'm proud of you. You probably did better than you think! Love YOu, Mom

Anonymous said...

I definitely agree with the work/play balance! You have to keep that in mind as you progress through the semesters, too :) Watch out for class drama though, and don't get involved. My biggest advice is to surround yourself with those individuals who make you happy, and avoid any toxic relationships (friendships or otherwise).

As always, glad to find another vet student blogger!