Disclaimer

The content of this blog reflects my personal experiences and opinions during my veterinary school education. It does not reflect the experiences or opinions of my classmates, colleagues, or the UC Davis School of Veterinary medicine. If you wish to contact me via email: hamaleo11@gmail.com

Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Impostor Syndrome

Yesterday before my lab practical portion of my GI anatomy exam, after I had completed the lecture portion, I was talking with some of my classmates. The conversation began with preparing for the lab practical, but then shifted towards feelings about exams and how we felt about ourselves at vet students. All of us seemed to have this feeling that we just weren't good enough or wondered if we even belonged here in vet school. We all thought we were for the most parts successful undergrads, but being in a professional school is totally different. I think there is pressure that comes from the fact that you are supposed to be a professional, have the knowledge of a professional, basically we feel as though we should be getting A's on every exam for the amount of time we put into studying and stressing about them. 

As Pre-Vets, you are very competitive, essentially competing with 1,200 other people for 133 or so spots at each one of the 22 or so vet schools in the US. And let me tell you, the interview process is nerve racking if you are lucky enough to get one. I applied two times to UC Davis and didn't get an interview the first time. I didn't give up that easy, I applied the following year, landed an interview and got a spot in the class of 2014. So I really encourage those of you who have applied multiple times not to give up too easy. Meet with the admissions committee and ask them where your application was lacking and know that you have a whole year to improve it. They want you to be persistent, I think that is why a lot of people might not get in their first application.

Even after being accepted to veterinary school at UC Davis, I still have this "impostor syndrome."And I'm not the only one plagued with it. Many of my friends feel the same way about themselves. The impostor syndrome is when one feels like they don't belong, as if they were a fraud. These feelings are common for new professional students, but not easy to hide from oneself.

I think the important part to remember when dealing with these impostor feelings is that everyone has to start somewhere and the fear of beginning a new and demanding professional career is daunting. You feel awkward which puts you in a place to not be comfortable with yourself and question things you actually do know. Allowing this self-doubt to take over can create a vicious cycle of apprehension, anxiety, depression, and paralysis of your life. It's almost impossible to fight off the impostor syndrome since it is so powerful in the beginning, but it helps talking to others that feel the same way. I realized the way to overcome this syndrome is to not fight it, but try to understand it and that it is an appropriate reaction to feel. After talking to my classmates, I was shocked that many of them felt the same way I did. Then I remembered that we are all colleges and we are all in this class to help each other out. A lot of us may look like we're fine on the outside, but we hide under our feelings of "impostor syndrome" hoping that no one will notice that we somehow accidentally made it into the class of 2014. I remember during orientation, I thought that they were going to make an announcement and say, "actually you didn't make it into vet school"....and send me on my way. I think the impostor syndrome is something I and a lot of my colleges will have to deal with for life. From here on out, I don't think it gets any easier! I read these helpful hints on a really neat website: http://www.myevt.com/columns/11/impostor-phenomenon

1. What you’re feeling on the inside is not necessarily visible on the outside. Taking a deep breath and holding your head high as you walk in the exam room can make you appear more confident.

2. Concentrate on your client and your patient, not on your feelings of awkwardness or unease. By focusing on those who have come for your expertise and care, you can often distract yourself from the worst of your apprehensions.

3. Acknowledge your new status. The Impostor Phenomenon can intensify if you attempt to hide your unease. Letting your client know that you are still learning your way around can put you both at ease.

4. Accept compliments. When we feel insecure, it’s difficult to acknowledge that others may see something positive in our actions. Rather than deflecting positive remarks, simply smile and say thank you. Then repeat the compliment to yourself several times!

5. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Acknowledging the expertise of others and asking for needed assistance encourages mutual respect.

6. Watch your negative self-talk. Imagine what it would be like to have a colleague following you, criticizing you and pointing out every small error. Your self-critical voice can have the same destructive effect, so ease up on the self- assessment.


Take A Look At These Impostors Below!!!!



2 comments:

Jess said...

Krissy, you are so right about this.

Those feelings of inadequacy, stupidity, and bleh are so totally not justified, either. I know that there are several people in our class that have admitted feeling like this - and those people are invariably people that I really look up to and admire. They're more than good enough. Our class is full of amazing and inspiring people, and you are one of them!

It doesn't matter how well we individually do, we'll probably never feel like we're good enough. We hold up this warped mirror to ourselves, and see only the mistakes and the setbacks. It would be nice to just walk away from that feeling, to silence the little voice that says 'stupid and worthless,' to acknowledge that it's not right, but that probably won't happen...so we need to take a step back every so often and read (or write!) something like this blog post.

Thanks for sending me the link to this. I needed to read it this evening. :)

Krissy Wood said...

Awwwww, thanks Jes, you are the best too, I really look up to you! You are so smart and such a great person, you help me so much! I know, why do we have to have such feelings like these impostor feelings? They are soooooo not justified!