Disclaimer

The content of this blog reflects my personal experiences and opinions during my veterinary school education. It does not reflect the experiences or opinions of my classmates, colleagues, or the UC Davis School of Veterinary medicine. If you wish to contact me via email: hamaleo11@gmail.com

Friday, January 28, 2011

Another Great Question from a Pre-vet!

"Since my application process I have continued to work at my animal related on campus job, but I have also been taking it easy as far as internships and hands on veterinary medicine goes. I fear that this will hurt me when it comes to the first question they asked you during your interview: "what have you been doing since you applied."  I have focused on getting straight A's but other than that I have been trying to enjoy myself in preparation of a rigorous four years of veterinary school.  What do you think?  Should I try to get back into my old internships? Should I be concerned?"

No need to be concerned! It sounds like you've been doing great and are on the right track. My guess is that you had a lot of veterinary/animal experience before you applied? If this is true, then taking some time off from vet experience to focus on your GPA might be just what they are looking for. Continuing to work at your on-campus job (which is animal related) is great too! It shows commitment to working in the animal profession and commitment to a job in general. I think they will also notice that you've been able to both work and attend classes which shows them that you are hardworking. If you have gotten good grades since you applied, I would defiantly mention it when they ask you that first question during your interview, "what have you been doing since you applied?" That question shouldn't worry you to much, they usually use it as an opener for the interview to help you relax and they want to hear about you and how you have continued to be interested in veterinary medicine even after completing the application. If you do have a chance to volunteer (like at the MERCER clinic) for example, this might be a good way to add experience before your interview, but won't be a huge time commitment. If you don't get a chance to do this, that's fine too, I think grades are defiantly important and so is your job and affording school. If you have done any extra-curricular activities like attending club meetings or just being a member of a club in general, you can mention that. I know we have the vet aides club on campus, so if you are a member of that you could tell them that you have continued to be an active member of the vet-aides club by attending meetings and participating in other activities. Again, if you got good grades during this time, defiantly mention that when they ask you that first question. And by the way, I think taking some time to relax before starting a rigorous vet school program is defiantly a good idea! I wish I had done a little bit more of that before I started Vet School! You might be able to add that in somehow, like "I've taken a little time to myself to relax in preparation for starting a rigorous veterinary program." This will show them that you do know how to relax (which is an important trait in any veterinary student cause we're always so stressed out from classes/exams). Just be prepared that they might then ask you "what do you do to relax?" So come up with something to answer that. I hope this helps answer your question!

No comments: