Disclaimer

The content of this blog reflects my personal experiences and opinions during my veterinary school education. It does not reflect the experiences or opinions of my classmates, colleagues, or the UC Davis School of Veterinary medicine. If you wish to contact me via email: hamaleo11@gmail.com

Monday, January 17, 2011

Meditation for Vet Students

 I've recently incorporated mediation into my life. I attended an information session by the famous Dr. Clark (quite more than the average professor/veterinarian), Dr. Clark shared his personal knowledge and practice of meditation with us. Although Dr. Clark is not an expert, I believe he gave me a great introduction to what meditation is all about and how to get started. I debated even going to the meeting due to time constraints (mainly lots of studying that needed to be done) but luckily I passed a friend in the hall on her way to the meeting.

Meditation helps defuse stress while strengthening brain function and vitality. Many of you may have a preconceived thought about what you think meditation is.  But let me tell you, meditation is exactly what you want it to be. "Meditation is essentially training our attention so that we can be more aware." -Salzberg

What is the science behind it? "Advances in brain monitoring and imaging, such as functional MRI, have made it possible to watch the brain in action during meditation...the practice of meditation seems to prime brain cells to fire together in patterns that strengthen key brain structures-those for example, important in tasks such as decision-making, memory, and emotional flexibility."-Salzberg

How does this relate to veterinary students or anyone for that matter? As a veterinary student myself, I have experienced first hand the stress a professional school puts on my life. Veterinary medicine is a difficult profession, although very rewarding, it puts you under a large amount of pressure. I feel as though meditation helps me relax and feel better about dealing with my stress in a more healthy way. There is no chanting, incense, or religion involved. I simply listen to soft, gentle, nature music (such as ocean waves radio on Pandora) and let my mind go blank. Of course, my mind strays, but I gently bring my attention back to the focus of meditation. I focus on my breathing pattern and am aware of my breath flowing through my body. I do my best to fit my meditation practices into my busy schedule. Since I started meditating, my goal has been to meditate at least 3-4 times a week for about 15-20minutes at a time. I find it comfortable to sit cross-legged on a bolster in a dark room and I close my eyes. So far I'm really enjoying it and I like the guided meditations in Sharon Salzberg's new book "Real Happiness: The Power of Meditation". I encourage anyone to try meditation, but keep in mind, it is not easy. Not that it is hard, but it is essentially training your mind. Kind of like an exercise regimen, it takes work. Don't give up in the beginning simply because it's hard to keep your attention focused or find time for the practice, really give it a good shot and if you have trouble seek help. Here are some meditation basics courtesy of Dr. Clark.

Dr. Clark's Meditation Reminders

1) Set a time frame for the session and stick to it

2) Find a comfortable position and then be still

3) Keep returning your focus to your breathing

4) Count or repeat a phrase if that is helpful

5) When your mind strays, don't reprimand-instead redirect

6) Notice, as an observer, the thoughts and feelings that arise

7) Let go and accept everything that arises

8) Now is not the time to "fix" things-instead "just be"

9) Be patient with yourself and persistant with this practice

10) View this "mental vacation" as a gift to yourself

Resources: 
Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Gunaratana
Real Happiness: The Power of Meditation by Sharon Salzberg

1 comment:

Rockjdog said...

Well said, however I would caution anyone starting to be careful and not have too many rules of what meditation should be.

I have been meditating for about 10 years now. My personal experience and also those I have interviewed state for the beginner 2 minutes two to three times a day is more than enough.

Mediation requires patients and the ability to follow through. So it is important not to make meditation to difficult to practice.

I was extremely depressed for a long time and was in therapy for depression.

Nothing worked until a friend suggested I meditate 30 seconds three times a day.

My mantra was “the coca cola bottling company".

Then I was to get quiet, not try to erase or grab or feel bad if my mind continued to think.

I was to just be aware that the thoughts came and not to touch them and try to get quiet again.

He said not to try to use any statements that would have emotions or a connection behind them because I was so depressed.

After 30 days of this my depression lifted and I have enjoyed meditation and the benefits of it for a long time.

I still meditate the same way. I say a statement that has meaning, get quiet and clear my mind. It does get easier as time goes on.

Meditation Master Ajahn Chah says:

"So don't be in a hurry and try to push or rush your practice.
Do your meditation gently and gradually step by step.
In regard to peacefulness, if you become peaceful, then accept it;
if you don't become peaceful, then accept that also.
That's the nature of the mind.
We must find our our own practice and persistently keep at it."