Disclaimer

The content of this blog reflects my personal experiences and opinions during my veterinary school education. It does not reflect the experiences or opinions of my classmates, colleagues, or the UC Davis School of Veterinary medicine. If you wish to contact me via email: hamaleo11@gmail.com

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Back in the Swing of Things

Winter break just ended, after a week of externship and two weeks of relaxation, I was ready to go back (or so I like to think so even though a few more days of relaxation might have been nice...). I am starting my winter quarter of my freshman year at veterinary school. We are easing back into classes, but of course after short introductions to the courses (which were hilarious including a voice clip from Kermit the Frog and the music video of the YMCA song, and some freakish animal facts). I really think the professors were trying to out do one another for the most humerus introductions. We're starting off with Cardio Physiology, Neurology, Animal Nutrition, Anatomy of the GI tract, and of course Radiology. Later in the quarter we will add several other courses. I chose to take two electives this quarter, Clinic Rounds and Large Animal Radiology. They are once a week and an hour long. They are more interactive courses, allowing students take turns trying to solve various cases. I am excited for them and feel as though they will provide me with some relief from my academic core classes. 


Although it is only the third day back, I already feel behind, there is just so much to know, like learning several new languages. One day at a time...I tell myself.



After reading this article in DVM magazine, it really made me want to do some thinking about entering small animal or equine medicine. It is an article about how four different veterinary students were drawn to equine medicine. They all share a love of horses that started when they were very young and have a continuing passion to work with horses for their entire lives. 
http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=689136&pageID=1

1 comment:

Rockjdog said...

I know this is a cliche but the best way to decide what to do is to follow your bliss. That is true today as is was 30 years ago when J cambell made that statement.

You can never go wrong as far as experiencing a good life if you follow and do what you love.
Forget money, forget what the world needs, forget what makes the most sense.

Do what makes you feel good and alive.

Thats my two cents.