Disclaimer

The content of this blog reflects my personal experiences and opinions during my veterinary school education. It does not reflect the experiences or opinions of my classmates, colleagues, or the UC Davis School of Veterinary medicine. If you wish to contact me via email: hamaleo11@gmail.com

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

I want to go to veterinary school, but I have a low GPA

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthpicturegalleries/8210202/Animal-pictures-of-the-week-17-December-2010.html?image=16
Question: 
Hello, I am currently attending school to become a veterinarian. I am in my sophomore year of majoring in animal science as an undergraduate. I currently have a 2.5 GPA and worried that I will not be accepted into vet school. I read your blog and was very relieved after reading it. I love animals and would like to help them in any way. I would consider pursuing a veterinary technician program but I feel like my animal science degree would be just a waste. Do you have any advice to give me? I would really appreciate it. Thanks. 
Reply: 
First, I strongly consider anyone (regardless of GPA) to consider WHY they want to go to veterinary school? It cannot be only because you want to help animals. Of course everyone who grows up wanting to become a veterinarian so they can help animals. Unfortunately just that want and desire to help animals will not help you get into veterinary school or get through the challenges of the veterinary curriculum. It will also not make you a good vet. The rising costs of a veterinary education should be a consideration, although do note that it should not prevent you from achieving your dream.
 
The required minimum SCIENCE GPA is 2.5. If your OVERALL GPA is 2.5, this must mean your science GPA is lacking. If it's only the beginning of your junior year, you still have time to improve your overall and science GPA.  if your overall GPA is 2.5 and you are graduating, I don't think this will satisfy the requirements for veterinary school. 

Second, is there any way you can retake courses you got lower grades in? This is a good way to increase your GPA. Make sure you can retake the courses first, i.e. if you got a C, I don't know if you get credit for taking it a second time, you would have to check with a counselor at your school. 

Third, focus on your current/upcoming courses because you will need to pull good grades. If you are struggling, get help, go to office hours. Assess why you didn't do as well as you hoped in previous courses and what academic challenges you need to overcome. 

Fourth, Do WELL on the GRE. If your GPA is lacking, an excellent GRE score can help you overcome that deficit. This is a really hard exam, you will spend hours studying for it AND wishing you never have to take it or learn the material again. 
Fifth, if you have never had the chance to volunteer at a veterinary hospital or work at one, do this immediately. This experience is vital to your decision to become a veterinarian. If you can't handle blood or death, you should NOT consider becoming a vet or vet tech.  

Finally, there are tons of different careers you can have with animals besides being a veterinarian or veterinarian technician. Explore some of those options. Remember, any college degree will allow you to apply to veterinary school, you don't have to be an animal science major. You do have to complete the prerequisite courses, but you can major in whatever subject you enjoy. 

Best of Luck and Study Hard!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Overall I agree with the advice you have given, but having just gone through my round of applications and getting accepted to veterinary school I can tell you that not all schools have minimum GPA or minimum hours of veterinary experience REQUIRED, though that's not to say they go unnoticed.

If your inquirer plans to continue on the path they should do some heavy research into the requirements of individual schools and find some that are less focused on grades for acceptance.