Disclaimer

The content of this blog reflects my personal experiences and opinions during my veterinary school education. It does not reflect the experiences or opinions of my classmates, colleagues, or the UC Davis School of Veterinary medicine. If you wish to contact me via email: hamaleo11@gmail.com

Friday, May 25, 2012

Working in the Equine ICU

From the UC Davis LA Clinic Facebook Group
How did I get a job in the the equine ICU? 
I started working in the equine ICU in March of 2011. I got the job through contacts I knew in the department. I had participated in foal team which gave me a chance to get experience and help the equine ICU staff at the same time. I also completed 2 internships through the Vet Aide Club in both equine medicine and equine ICU.

What do I do all day in the equine ICU?
Observe and monitor patient vital signs. Administer medications (oral, IV, IM). Carry out clinician's orders. Work with students and clinicians on patient care and management. Maintain sanitation protocols. Document treatments and keep track of bowl movements, feed intake and urination.

What do I like best about my job? 
Working with horses, I love helping make them better. Being a student and getting paid to be on call is also very nice.

From the UC Davis LA Clinic Facebook Group

UC Davis Foal Team

1 comment:

Consuela said...

Wow that's really amazing! You are so talented and competent! Do you think you could put in a good word with me to get a job in the horse hospital? I'm really great with horses!