Disclaimer

The content of this blog reflects my personal experiences and opinions during my veterinary school education. It does not reflect the experiences or opinions of my classmates, colleagues, or the UC Davis School of Veterinary medicine. If you wish to contact me via email: hamaleo11@gmail.com

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Volunteering for RVETS - Life Lessons

The Veterinary Team
What an amazing end to my summer! A trip to Northern California with RVETS (Rural Veterinary Experience & Training Services). I learned so much from Dr. Davis and Cindy! They are such humble and patient people and amazing teachers with a passion and a talent for the work they do. I really enjoyed the opportunity to work with them and learned so much and got to do so much to help animals in need.
"Gelding Clinic"

On Friday, August 24th, we left the Davis campus following the RVETS bus headed for SAFER equine rescue in Sonoma, CA to castrate a horse. 

Then we traveled to Covelo, CA (which for those who don't know is roughly north of Willets about an hour near Round Valley. We set up our small animal equipment that night and made sure everything was prepared for the next 2 day small animal clinic. Most of our procedures were spays and neuters while we also did two Etropians, a facial mass removal and a retrieved a fox tail from a dog's ear! 

That Monday morning we traveled to Kettenpom to do a horse clinic (plus a cat spay and a dog neuter). We did some equine dentals, castrations, and a hernia surgery. After a lot of driving on a dirt/gravel road we arrived to a paved road that took us to Red Bluff, CA where we had another gelding clinic. By this time, we were getting good at setting everything up and knocking out those castrations! After a half day, we headed back to Davis which would be our home base for the next couple of clinic days.

I'm castrating a MINI MULE !
Monitoring Anesthesia on a mini horse
Our first two days we worked out in North Highlands area and castrated roughly 32 horses and did a couple of hernia repairs over those 2 days! On our last day, we worked out of a barn in El Dorado, CA...that's right, my home town! It was so neat to be able to do veterinary work in my hometown for rescue groups that needed the services RVETS provides. Of course I ran into someone I knew! Reflecting on my week volunteering with RVETS, I wouldn't change anything about the experience, it was truly amazing! It was hard work and a lot of missed sleep, but I love working hard, and have a passion for learning!   


5 comments:

Callie said...

Hi im 14 and want to be a vet. I was wondering how do you deal with the surgeries? Ive been watching videos online and had no trouble watching the. Through but im not sure i could do that myself. Any tips?
Thanks

Krissy Wood said...

Great question Callie! I personally have never had a problem with surgery or blood/guts, etc. I guess I was raised that way? Sometimes really bad smells can be too much for me, but I can usually stomach just about everything. If you're unsure you would ever be able to do surgery, after watching some videos, maybe ask a local vet if you could shadow/watch a surgical procedure like a spay. It would be best if you watched through a viewing window, just in case it bothered you and you need to get out of there and you wouldn't be contaminating the surgery room. In high school you should get the opportunity to dissect things, that's another test that will help you decide if you can handle surgery. Hope that helps!

Callie said...

Thanks that really does.

Mirawyn said...

I think my brother-in-law volunteered with this group when he was in school.

But I have to ask . . . Retrieving a fox tail from a dog's ear? How does THAT happen?

(By the way, I found your blog from Chris Bern's link on his page.)

Krissy Wood said...

Thanks for reading Mirawyn. Retrieving a fox tail from a dog's ear is a very common thing in California, we have TONS of foxtails. Sometimes the foxtail is visualized with a otoscope, but often it is painful and most dogs hate the otoscope, so we often give them a mild sedative - or full general anesthesia in some cases so we can cause them as little discomfort as possible. We use the otoscope and a really long, thin instrument that we can pass through the opening of the otoscope. It has a little clamp that opens by operating the handle outside the ear and you can grasp the foxtail or other foreign body for removal. It's actually easier said than done sometimes. And foxtails like to fragment, so that can be difficult.