Disclaimer

The content of this blog reflects my personal experiences and opinions during my veterinary school education. It does not reflect the experiences or opinions of my classmates, colleagues, or the UC Davis School of Veterinary medicine. If you wish to contact me via email: hamaleo11@gmail.com

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Living by my iCal

Your vet school schedule is automatically loading into your iCal (for Mac users) before the quarter even starts. I have become obsessed with looking at my calendar. I don’t know if these feelings have overcome anyone else in my class, but I really feel that my life is directed and managed around my iCal schedule. It tells me where I need to be and when. It even provides me with a number correlating to a class, kind of like an acronym. I know what a few of these mean, but sometimes I am in for a surprise of what class will be next.

Vet school scheduling is not like undergraduate courses at all. As an undergrad, you gradually become accustomed to a weekly schedule that doesn’t frequently change. In vet school however, classes overlap, end sooner or start later than others, basically there is no weekly familiarity with it. Only one class is always there for you, everyday around 11am……right before lunch…P. Chemistry. You are ensured to get a daily lecture in P. Chemistry and the class moves quickly and covers vast material. Speaking of which, we have our first P. Chemistry test on Monday, two weeks into vet school. I plan on spending the rest of the weekend studying, trying to not memorize the material, but to learn it so I can someday apply it.

Application can begin at vet school, during the TG’s (the every other week Friday parties). There is always great food, kegs, and wonderful company. This week’s TG recognized all the STAR students (Students in Advance Research) who had completed summer research projects. I’m debating doing this program since I had a lot of research experience already as an undergraduate, but research is still something that interests me. Alex (my boyfriend of five years) accompanied me to Friday’s TG and we had a blast.

Sometimes during all these classes while you are starring at your computer, trying to absorb the words that are coming from your professor’s mouth, you’re tired, it’s right before lunch, and you loose sight of why you’re really there and why these things are important. Today, I volunteered at a feral cat spay/neuter program at the Sacramento SPCA. I got a lot of experience preparing the animals for surgery, recovering, vaccinating, and ear tipping. We completed spays/neuters on over 25 cats! The program will run every Saturday from now until the first few months in 2011. The clinic was run by 3 veterinary students, two veterinarians, two technicians, and a brave community volunteer. I was surprised that none of my classmates showed interest since we had all gotten the email. I really got to apply myself and test my knowledge. I loved every minute of it!

No comments: