Disclaimer

The content of this blog reflects my personal experiences and opinions during my veterinary school education. It does not reflect the experiences or opinions of my classmates, colleagues, or the UC Davis School of Veterinary medicine. If you wish to contact me via email: hamaleo11@gmail.com

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

First Week in Review

After completing my first week at veterinary school, I am excited and overwhelmed at all the same time. It was an intense week, 9am-5pm each day with an hour for lunch. My lunch hours were filled with club and informational meetings that had one main dish: Pizza and lots of it. I never thought I could get tired of eating pizza, but this week proved me wrong! I had my first TG (kind of like a thank god it’s Friday). It includes a BBQ& Keg and all the veterinary students, some faculty, and staff come. This week all the campus clubs were there trying to get the first years to join and upperclassmen to re-join old clubs or join new ones. I joined several clubs including: the equine medicine club, the veterinary business management association, and the pathology club just to name a few. Campus clubs provide lectures, symposiums, wet labs, rounds, and lots of other fun stuff to get involved in during the school year.

Sitting in Rm 1020 in Valley hall, I stare at my classmates and realize we are all so lucky to be here, we are all smart and we will all succeed. We’ve all enjoyed the same classes this week such as biochemistry, histology, anatomy, animal behavior, and even our first radiology lecture. I’ve spent only 6 hours in the anatomy lab reinforcing my learning of the forelimb and spinal column, but I know there are many hours to come. Our first exam in anatomy (which consists of a lecture and laboratory exam) is in just two weeks. We have to know every bone and every articulating surface, rough surface, basically everything about bones (at least for now) the muscles, nerves, and veins will follow shortly).  I’m more concerned for our upcoming biochemistry exam this coming Monday!!! We’ve covered enzymes, acid-base, and some intracellular signals. This material is extensive and we have this course every day.

This Friday, we have a group exam in animal behavior (our first official exam in veterinary school). Unfortunately, we only have seven animal behavior lectures, but it has been fun discussing behavior and emerging discoveries about the way animals interact with each other and their people. The exam is open note, open internet, so it should be fun and interactive. It’s more of an interpretation of what we’ve learned and how we’ll apply it.

I’m doing my best to reduce my stress in veterinary school by taking a weekly Yoga class at the Bo Tree. I also get a monthly massage at Massage Envy (thanks to my dad). In addition, I try to get to the ARC at least 2 times a week. Most of my time outside of class is spent studying. It seems overwhelming at times just because there is so much to learn. I’ve found studying anatomy is best done in groups, especially since I study at late hours. All the veterinary school buildings are open to veterinary students 24 hours a day. This is to give us the prime opportunity to study and use the facilities when ever we want.

I’ve already been exploring summer externship opportunities. Many of you may wonder what an externship is and how it is different from an internship? An externship is part time (usually 2-4 weeks in length, and is done while you are still a veterinary student. They are usually unpaid, but a great opportunity to gain hands on, clinical experience. Internships are usually paid experiences done after graduating from veterinary school and often a year long in length.

No comments: