Disclaimer

The content of this blog reflects my personal experiences and opinions during my veterinary school education. It does not reflect the experiences or opinions of my classmates, colleagues, or the UC Davis School of Veterinary medicine. If you wish to contact me via email: hamaleo11@gmail.com

Sunday, April 3, 2011

April is HERE!

April is finally here, and along with it, gorgeous California weather. It's the perfect temperature, not too hot, like the middle of summer when it is over 100 and dry, and not bone chillingly rainy. Unfortunately those who came to "sunny" California week before last for Symposium didn't get to enjoy this wonderful weather, but I sure am, well despite having a cold...
Yep, that's right, a nasty cold! Just at the beginning of the quarter (which is in fact better than during finals), but nonetheless, bothersome! This quarter is going to be a busy one, and I can't get behind in the very beginning! 

Today, I volunteered at the C4CC feral cat spay and neuter clinic. We sterilized 71 cats today and did a really great job since we finished up around 2pm, starting at 8am. I will be one of the new coordinators for the clinic starting next month along with a classmate and two classmates from the class of 2013. I look forward to working with the wonderful people that help run this feral clinic so smoothly every month. I also hope to get my class more interested in volunteering by creating a half volunteer day option. Many of my classmates want to volunteer, but feel like they have to take an entire day to volunteer. I hope that my co-coordinators and I can re-vamp the clinic to make things run a little smoother, and give veterinary students the option of morning and afternoon shifts. 

I am currently researching online ways to improve feral cat clinics in the aspect how they are run and for the welfare of the cats. If anyone has any great suggestions for improving the feral clinic, please share! 

Some of my current plans including defining duties at each station on a sheet that is simple enough to read quickly, but thorough enough to explain the station. I plan to post them at each station as well as sending the descriptions out with the volunteer schedule. This way, I will also go over the information with the volunteers verbally, but they will have a chance to read it first and somewhere to check if they need any reminders during the clinic. 

I look forward to working with my co-coordinators and am so fortunate for being accepted into the position which I plan on holding for the next 2 years until I transitioning into my fourth year. 

I have had a great mentor that has taught me so much about running feral cat clinics and I am forever grateful for her extensive knowledge, skill set, and ability to not only lead, but teach in a way that is helpful and successful. You know who you are and I would like to thank you for setting such a great example and most of all for your patience and level-headedness in teaching me. Also for volunteering your time running feral clinics so smoothly and efficiently. You are awesome M.W.!
 

No comments: