Disclaimer

The content of this blog reflects my personal experiences and opinions during my veterinary school education. It does not reflect the experiences or opinions of my classmates, colleagues, or the UC Davis School of Veterinary medicine. If you wish to contact me via email: hamaleo11@gmail.com

Friday, April 8, 2011

My Grandma

My Grandma Nancy

The family member that inspired me most to work with horses when I was young was my grandma (my dad's mother) Nancy. She was a strong woman and a great grandmother.

My family and I were devastated when we lost my grandmother suddenly almost two years ago. The day my grandmother passed away, she had come to see me ride in a Horse Show at the Equestrian Center at UC Davis. She had always came to as many horse shows and lessons as she could that I had over the years. She was always very supportive of my horsie habit and I believe she knew I would someday make it into veterinary school and become an equine vet. She died suddenly of a heart attack. No one expected it and we didn't have a chance to say good bye, but I am so glad she spent her last day with me, her son (my father), my mom and the wonderful horses out at the UC Davis Equestrian Center. She was very happy that day and couldn't hide her smile when she helped me groom my horse in preparation for the competition. I saw the young girl in her that enjoyed being around horses just as much as I did. I did well in the show and she was so proud of me and the horse I was riding. 

I am so lucky to have met my grandmother and learned so much from her. I will never forget her and miss her greatly. I used to love visiting her at her beach house Gualala (near Sea Ranch on Highway 1). It seemed like the dream home she had always wanted and she shared it with her golden lab, Blue. 

I will also never forget how my grandmother helped me get my first horse and even had an arena built at her house, allowing me to keep my horse there. She taught me how to work hard for the things I wanted in life and to never give up on my dreams. 

I am glad that in the last few months, my grandmother had moved to Grass Valley to be closer to her family (all less than 2 hours away) and I was able to visit with her and get to know her while she was alive. 
Thank You Grandma!

No comments: