Disclaimer

The content of this blog reflects my personal experiences and opinions during my veterinary school education. It does not reflect the experiences or opinions of my classmates, colleagues, or the UC Davis School of Veterinary medicine. If you wish to contact me via email: hamaleo11@gmail.com

Monday, April 11, 2011

One Day At a Time...

Veterinary school is overwhelming at times, I spent most of yesterday worrying about all the studying looming ahead. Sometimes you feel as though you can never catch up if you fall behind, which is easy to do. Especially with a part-time job, and responsibilities as co-head coordinators for two very important societal programs (Mercer and C4CC (Coalition for Community Cats feral cat clinic)). 

Many may wonder why I choose to do so much along with veterinary school and one may even argue if I didn't have those other things to do, I might have more time to study. However, I think it is vital to my community to participate in such valuable programs such as Mercer and C4CC. And as for my job, I'm learning so much about veterinary care, things that relate to things I'm learning in class. I'm actually getting to DO things and relate them to what I've learned from sitting on my butt in lecture for 7-8 hours a day. 


Over the past week, I have realized something very tough for me to deal with in the field of veterinary medicine. Owners that love their pets and have good intentions, but are unable to realize when a pet may need medical intervention. For example, the owner who notices blood in their dog's urine and thinks that it will just go away, however after a year, they decide to seek medical intervention when the problem has not only persisted, but gotten worse. I am thankful they have finally chosen to seek medical attention, but it is difficult for me to understand why they didn't get help sooner. I mean, it seems confusing to me that one would think issues would just "resolve" themselves. If you break your arm, you should probably seek medical care and correct your broken arm...So simple, so difficult for many pet owners to understand. It's not that they don't care, it is that they don't seem to understand the gravity of their pet's situation. A similar situation is currently happening to an animal that is very close to me owned by a friend that is very dear to me. 

It makes me think about how many times I will have to deal with these situations in my future. With the economy the way it is, people are trying to save money anywhere they can, whether it be buying cheaper pet food, or seeking less veterinary care/preventative medicine for their pets. I think a great example of this new movement is summarized by a blog post from a veterinarian I often read:
http://avetsguidetolife.blogspot.com/2011/04/scrimping-on-heartworm-prevention.html 

It's not worth it in the end, if you skimp here and there, it quite often may end up costing you more in the long run and the biggest price one will pay is the health and well-being of their pet. We cannot make decisions for the pet, we have to work as a team with the owners to provide proper care to the pet and it is important to establish working relationships with owners. 

I think I've been having a difficult time realizing I can't change the world, I can only help individuals and hope to contribute to changes through the masses. My making a difference in one pet's life, I can make a difference. 

No comments: