Disclaimer

The content of this blog reflects my personal experiences and opinions during my veterinary school education. It does not reflect the experiences or opinions of my classmates, colleagues, or the UC Davis School of Veterinary medicine. If you wish to contact me via email: hamaleo11@gmail.com

Monday, April 18, 2011

Picnic Day Weekend

This year I'm happy Picnic Day wasn't canceled but Picnic day was crowded. We saw our class float which was an saber tooth tiger. Many members of class of 2014 worked extremely hard to put this thing together. I enjoyed picnic day with my family and then went to an event called the "Furball" which is like a mini burning man. It was really fun, we dressed up and had a great time watching people play with fire and have a good time. 
I also worked this weekend in the ICU which was really fun. I was fortunate enough to be present for an emergency laceration on a horse and was able to help since ICU was slower. Patching lacerations is definitely an art form in itself. I have been practicing my technician skills as well and am feeling more comfortable working there confidently. I really enjoy work, I learn a lot and am feeling more confident in handling patient cases on my own. I always feel that there is room to improve and I can't get mad at myself for small mistakes that are not a big deal, especially if I learn from them. Hahha, like what I learned from a co-worker, disconnecting the fluids before taking the patient on a walk is probably a good idea or something I learned from personal experience that holding your needle to your syringe for a PPG injection so it doesn't become disconnected and splatter all over. Really, it's the little things in life that make it all worth while.

I'm feeling a little behind on studying, but what else is new, I always feel that way. :) 
I did well on my first exam this quarter in Endocrinology and am doing well in my other classes on quizzes and attending lectures. 
This weekend I'm met several upper class men and have heard good and bad from fourth years about the veterinary job market. Is it really just who you know and what type of personality you have that gets you hired, cause there does not seem to be a lot of job availability right now. This could definitely change in the next 3 years, but who knows.

I plan on tracking small/equine at this point to keep my options open. 

Spring quarter is probably the funnest quarter so far of first year, not going through the adjusting fall quarter or hellish winter quarter. Days are longer, we have less laboratories. Speaking of which, we just had our last anatomy lab for freshman year. It was our Urinary anatomy lab. We said our goodbyes to our cadaver dog and thought back on all we had learned from him. The knowledge we gained in the laboratory and from our wonderful professors is so invaluable to my future in clinical veterinary medicine. It was the most wonderful learning experience and I will never forget that dog's extensive contribution to my knowledge base.
Class of 2014 Picnic Day Float

No comments: