Disclaimer

The content of this blog reflects my personal experiences and opinions during my veterinary school education. It does not reflect the experiences or opinions of my classmates, colleagues, or the UC Davis School of Veterinary medicine. If you wish to contact me via email: hamaleo11@gmail.com

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine Charging for Student Facility Use

Since when did public universities start charging their students in excess of tuition for use of public educational facilities for educational professional events? 

Well the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine has resulted to that in this economic time, faced with  a $500 million cut — or more — from state funding.

Here is the official letter that veterinary students received from the administration. 
Here is my response to administration:
As a veterinary student at UC Davis SVM, I have greatly benefited from the symposiums, seminars, and events held in the veterinary school facilities. I feel that charging a fee for future facility use will decrease the ability for students and doctors to gain future access to knowledge. As it is with the economy the way it is, clubs are already having difficulty funding club events, seminars, etc. If this new "fee" is implemented it will only further inhibit clubs and organizations to offer such valuable events for the veterinary community. I feel as though we pay for tuition, which includes facility use. Inhibiting us from utilizing our own facilities by charging a fee that some clubs may not be able to afford is ludicrous. I understand the need for clean-up after events and building repair, however with any amount of use, the buildings will inevitably need repair regardless of facility use by seminars, symposiums, etc. I feel if the concern is more about clean up after events, then why not charge a deposit and give detailed cleaning instructions and expectations and if those are met following an event, return the deposit to the club or organization hosting the event. The value gained through these educational experiences (club symposiums, events, etc) more than outweighs any amount the university would receive for charging these fees and I feel as though access to adequate facilities and higher educational opportunities should always be included in a graduate (professional) college experience. I know that many clubs thrive just by the events they are able to host at the veterinary school so that they can earn money to fund future club events and educational opportunities to club members. If a fee were imposed, especially a fee of $80/hour per room per HOUR, I think it would be unlikely clubs would be able to host events at the UC Davis Veterinary School campus. I chose to go to UC Davis because they offered such invaluable learning opportunities AT their very own veterinary school.

Also, the bit about the buildings being in use for 10-12 hours seven days a week is fallacious. This is not the case for ANY of the instructional classrooms. I have been in homeroom on weekends to print things or study or even to check my mailbox and the entire valley hall is almost vacant except for an occasional student who is also studying in the facilities they pay tuition to use.

I feel these "fees" for facility use are a detriment to my education and I am insulted that the university would jeopardize the career we are entering into  which thrives on collaboration, the pursuit of knowledge, and the heart of the true meaning of the veterinary community.


After my letter was received, I met with the administration on several occasions to discuss this issue and was told there was nothing I could do. So I wrote an article in the school paper addressing the similar arguments in my letter to the administration. Many students feel powerless under the eyes of the administration, or I believe they are too busy to really even fight for student facility use. I do believe they care, but feel that there is nothing we can do as students. Some students haven't even heard about it and are shocked when they learn about it.

This is OUR veterinary school, we sure pay a hefty amount of tuition to go to this school, we should be able to fully appreciate the benefits of our professional education, which undoubtedly includes facility use.  
 


In the UC Davis Guide for Prospective Students I found this statement, "Since 2004 the school has completed six new buildings, including a teaching laboratory, a two-story classroom complex and a five-story multipurpose facility as part of a $354 million long-range facilities plan to modernize infrastructure and provide the best learning environment for students. School officials continue to develop public and private support for programs and facilities that will help to meet California’s growing need for veterinarians.


I believe these facilities should provide the best learning environment for students and students should have unlimited access to use of those facilities.

I hope that veterinary students understand that WE do have the ability to stand up against our administration on such prevalent issues. If you have any comments/suggestions/ideas please feel free to comment. I am wondering if other veterinary schools in US have similar costs associated with hosting symposiums and CE events. 


Thank You for reading

LINK: http://campus-care.ucdavis.edu/facilities-management/who-pays-for-maintenance.shtml

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read your article in the Waggie and I agree with you 100%. We pay such high tuition's for what? I assumed the use of the facilities were included in the charges. Having to pay for clubs to use the facilities is ridiculous. Don't we want to show off our facilities to the community and as an educational institution, we should be encouraging clubs to host symposiums and wet labs. I understand that they need to pay for the cleaning crew and such when we use the building outside of class time, but we are more than capable of cleaning up after ourselves. Your deposit idea is a good one (as long as it's not charged hourly).
If they start charging hourly fees on use of the facilities (that we pay for already in our tuition), clubs will be forced to move off campus and then what? The buildings just sit here, still using electricity and costing money to run. It's not like they completely shut down the building when class is out. Why let this beautiful new building just sit and go to waste when we could use it and share it with the community.

Rachael said...

Krissy:

I am very interested in talking to you about your concerns about the veterinary job market for the second part of our coverage that you cited in your blog post. Please contact me asap at 440-891-2607 or at rwhitcomb@advanstar.com.

Thanks!
Rachael Whitcomb
News editor
DVM Newsmagazine