Disclaimer

The content of this blog reflects my personal experiences and opinions during my veterinary school education. It does not reflect the experiences or opinions of my classmates, colleagues, or the UC Davis School of Veterinary medicine. If you wish to contact me via email: hamaleo11@gmail.com

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Sometimes in life, you get a RE-DO

I will be the first to admit to my blog readers that I'm NOT perfect. I struggled through my first Renal Physiology Exam on body fluids. I actually didn't pass it, I got 67%. The examination policy for the course states that any part of the exam with a score of less than 70% must be re-examined. 

I think this is a wonderful grading policy for many reasons. I was not at my best that day I took my exam, I actually had a large bout of "test anxiety." I had studied the material, but found it difficult to piece together. On the exam, I froze at some of the questions, I knew the material, but something inside me made me feel like I didn't. To top it off, I actually ran out of time on the exam, which has never happened to me in any veterinary exam. I wasn't the only one though, there were several people turning in their test as our next professor was preparing for the following lecture. 


Thankfully, I met with the professor to discuss my poor results on the exam. I told him that grades are important to me, however, what is more important is that I understand the material so I can become a great veterinarian. I told him that I would like to meet with a tutor a couple times and become more confident with the material. Then he pointed out in the syllabus that any score below 70% required a re-test in any portion of the course. As you may assume, I was very upset with myself for my low exam score, but thankfully I had a chance to make it right and could only better understand the material. 


Within one week of the exam, I re-took the exam (not the same one, but strikingly similar) and I was much more confident in my knowledge about the material and sound in my choice of answers. 


I think it is often difficult to stick what we learn in our veterinary curriculum into a multiple choice format. It is also difficult for every professor to adapt to all their student's learning and test taking styles. 

All I know that someday when I am a practicing veterinarian, my patients will not come with choices A,B,C,D, or E, they will be puzzles that I must piece together through my physical exam findings, patient history (from owner), and presenting complaints.

I think what I have learned from this experience is that I just need to do my best and trust myself, have confidence in the knowledge I spend many hours studying and trying to comprehend. Don't get down on yourself because you struggle, that won't really help you overcome it.

Dream Big! But know your true self!

1 comment:

Krissy Wood said...

I found out today that I got 98% on my re-exam! Way to go! Now my grade is much better and I feel great about the material.