Disclaimer

The content of this blog reflects my personal experiences and opinions during my veterinary school education. It does not reflect the experiences or opinions of my classmates, colleagues, or the UC Davis School of Veterinary medicine. If you wish to contact me via email: hamaleo11@gmail.com

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

My First Cat Spay

11-27-12

Tomorrow, I will spay my first cat - she is gorgeous and up for adoption at the Solono County Shelter - Her name is Darlene. I am a little nervous about being surgeon for the first time in our surgery team. I've castrated horses and cats, but a spay is different

I feel confident in my ligatures and suturing abilities, I just hope I pace my self adequately for the surgery ahead...

11-28-12

And I did it! My surgical time was 1 and 1/2 hours from my incision to my last skin suture. I think the part that took the most time was closing my incision! We do four closure layers - mostly to practice tissue handling and suturing since in real life, they don't really do that many!  



Thank You to Darlene - the lovely cat (I hope you find a forever home!) and to my Surgery team - Jes and Hai - you are amazing! And to our wonderful professors and technicians that help us in the Gourley Teaching lab. 

No comments: