Disclaimer

The content of this blog reflects my personal experiences and opinions during my veterinary school education. It does not reflect the experiences or opinions of my classmates, colleagues, or the UC Davis School of Veterinary medicine. If you wish to contact me via email: hamaleo11@gmail.com

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Veterinarian Fired After She Finds Neglected Horses


I was shocked when I read this article in the NY Times. An Equine Veterinarian, Dr. Stacey Huntington was fired after discovering and documenting neglected horses. She was originally hired by Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation and the Mellon Estate Trustees to examine the quality of care and life of the foundation's retired thoroughbred horses. Her evaluations were intended to help improve the TRF's management and health of their horses. However, what she found was poor management and many underweight horses. She did not report anything to the media, but made her reports and submitted them to the Foundation immediately following her visit to the farms. Somehow the news of the neglected thoroughbreds made it to the news and they fired Dr. Huntington.

I found this post from Dr. Huntington herself on a website in response to criticism by other veterinarians:
"#14 about 5 days ago by Stacey huntington
It is amazing to read comments from a respected e-veterinarian who has no problem questioning my ethics and yet has very little grasp of the facts. I was hired by both the TRF and the Mellon estate trustees. I have examined 857 horses on 19 facilities. My findings in each evaluation were given to the herd manager of TRF immediately after each facility was evaluated. The herd manager facilitated the urgent care problems. I have not given joe drape any of my pictures, evaluations, or specific findings. Dr. Hogan, you need to get the facts and not allow yourself to be used in this way."

I believe Dr. Huntington only had the horses in mind when she completed her evaluations of the thoroughbreds at the farms owned and operated by the foundation. I believe she did not deserve to be fired at all, let alone but her reputation as an equine veterinarian on the line. As a veterinary student, I feel I must look ahead into the future and seriously consider all job offers and what problems may arise with them if I found evidence that made my employers look bad. I think Dr. Huntington was only trying to help and the foundation took her findings all out of hand and fired her for unknown reasons not pertinent to treating the affected horses quickly and efficiently.

In most recent news, it seems that the TRF is planning on continuing their evaluations. 

No comments: