Disclaimer

The content of this blog reflects my personal experiences and opinions during my veterinary school education. It does not reflect the experiences or opinions of my classmates, colleagues, or the UC Davis School of Veterinary medicine. If you wish to contact me via email: hamaleo11@gmail.com

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Writing My Letter of Intent: The American Fondouk


Summer 2012, I am traveling to Fez, Morocco to volunteer at the American Fondouk. I have just written my letter of intent to come to Fez to help animals and the people of Morocco. I can't believe I'm really going, this will be such a unique opportunity and will greatly benefit my veterinary knowledge and skill set.

In November, I had the opportunity to attend a lecture on equine aid in third world countries by Dr. Derek Knottenbelt. He spoke of the need of helping animals, especially the workhorses in third world countries as a major contributor to helping the people whose lives depend on them. I realized the growing need to educate these people on proper nutrition, care, and management strategies as well as compassion for their animals. I realized that I wanted to do something to change the lives for the animals as well as the people. Shortly after Dr. Knottenbelt’s presentation, I attended a presentation at UC Davis put on by the International Veterinary Student Association, where I saw Kate Ferrell’s presentation on her trip to the American Fondouk. She spoke of how much she learned from the staff at the American Fondouk while helping animals in need. I was greatly moved and inspired from her presentation. I came to the conclusion that the American Fondouk would be an ideal place for me to expand my veterinary skills and help people and animals in need.

I plan on spending a month with the American Fondouk (last week of June, first 3 weeks of July) during the summer of 2012. At that time, I will be entering my third year of veterinary school at UC Davis and will have completed many of my essential core classes. Since I have only ever been as far east as Tennessee, I plan on traveling Europe after my time at the American Fondouk. I have always loved traveling and I believe that seeing the world is increasingly important in American society. Traveling gives you the chance to experience other cultures and ways of life. Americans - especially our youth - have a tendency to think that our way is the only way, and travel is a chance to find out that that is just not true. Other countries do things differently than we do - whether or not they do them better than we do is up to the individual assessing the situation.

I am greatly impressed and inspired by the work at the American Fondouk. I hope to be able to participate in such a great organization and make a difference in the lives of animals and their people in Fez.
 



2 comments:

Krissy Wood said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rockjdog said...

Wow, what a wonderful way to help out a good cause and learn allot also. I saw the vid with the link you posted.

I think it must be hard to see some of these hurt animals because the people are so poor they must continue to use their sick and injured animals without a rest. That would break my heart.

On a lighter note best friends has a real sweet donkey for addoption and the video of him is real cute. He is like a big dog when they scratch his ears.