Disclaimer

The content of this blog reflects my personal experiences and opinions during my veterinary school education. It does not reflect the experiences or opinions of my classmates, colleagues, or the UC Davis School of Veterinary medicine. If you wish to contact me via email: hamaleo11@gmail.com

Friday, May 24, 2013

Preparing for the Clinical Year

As the end of my 3rd year of veterinary school nears, I am winding both down and up. I feel like I need some down time to relax before clinics start and I also need to do everything I can to mentally and physically prepare myself for what some deam the hardest, most enduring, but academically rewarding year of veterinary school there is. The senior clinical year! 

Yes, folks, I will no longer be sitting in the classroom on my bum or taking exams. I will have new challenges, a different variety of "Exam". I am very excited to apply myself, what I've learned (and hopefully remember) to real life cases and situations in veterinary medicine. I only want to do my best, but I know with any great challenge, obstacles will occur and I will not always know all the right answers. 

This year, we don't get a summer break (I think I will be day dreaming about those in the near future). I don't really mind since I'm going to be working with animals every day for the rest of my career! That's a pretty awesome exchange if you ask me! Clinics start in just 3 weeks! My first clinic is going to Guatemala with an HSVMA-RAVS trip to do equine field work. I'm very excited for this experience! 

And this is my FINAL year, after this I will be a DVM! I have currently decided I want to pursue an internship following veterinary school in order to improve my skills and challenge myself to become a better vet. This means, I will be part of the "MATCH" program - where I pick my top internship choices and hope they pick me! It's very exciting, but the application process starts early for senior veterinary students, it's due in the beginning of December - which is also near when we take our National Board Exams. YIKES! That means that yes, I am already preparing NOW - thinking about letters of recommendation, working on my personal statement and resume. It's a lot of work...especially researching internship programs. I really want to find one that is right for me, and I right for them! 

As a first generation college student, I have personally exceeded my expectations. I am so fortunate to have had the opportunities and experiences afforded by an education at UC Davis.   

No comments: